BERKELEY HOOD PROJECT SUPPORTERS
Funding has been provided by the following organizations to address various aspects of the hood's
development and testing:
- U.S. Department of Energy... Multi-year funding for hood development and to develop intellectual
- California Institute for Energy Efficiency (CIEE)... 1998 to 1999 for technology
development and technology transfer.
- Montana State University... 1999/2000 funding for one field test and market transformation
activities. First field demonstration site.
- Pacific Gas and Electric Company... 2000 funding for one field test and market
- San Diego Gas and Electric Company, through San Diego State University... 2001 funding for
one field test and market transformation activities. Providing site for second California
demonstration of Berkeley Hood.
The following organizations provided in-kind support:
- Labconco... Provided a fume hood superstructure for modification and use in prototype
development. Built two prototypes for demonstration installations and field testing.
- ATMI... LBNL has partnered with ATMI to develop the Berkeley Hood technology for the
microelectronics industry (e.g. wet benches, and equipment cabinets). Entered into an "option to
license" agreement for the air divider technology in the microelectronics industry. Developed their
own adaptation of the technique for "wet benches" used in semiconductor manufacturing.
- Fisher-Hamilton... Provided a six-foot hood for prototype development for larger hoods.
Built a four-foot fume hood for field testing.
- Fisher-Nickel/PG&E Food Service Technology Center (FSTC) Collaborated by sharing ideas
and methods to visualize air flow in hoods. Used FSTC schlieren device to study Berkeley Hood airflow
patterns. LBNL presented at conferences sponsored by FSTC to demonstrate airflow visualization
- Phoenix Controls/Newmatic Engineering... Phoenix engineers evaluated hood's performance
with standard ASHRAE 110 protocol and additional challenges, e.g., "walk-by" challenge. Phoenix
Controls will provide control package and monitoring interface at SDSU demo site with installation by
- Siemens Building Technologies and Controls... Provided monitoring and control equipment and
expertise for one field test.
- US Filter/Johnson Screens... Provided protective grill for lower plenum supply at reduced
cost; worked with LBNL to design and fabricate special grill; estimated production pricing.
- University of California at San Francisco... K Provided site and funded installation for
the first California demonstration of the Berkeley Hood.
The following organizations served as consultants to the project:
- Earl Walls Associates... Will test and evaluate demo installation at SDSU.
- Exposure Control Technologies... Provided expert review and evaluation of Berkeley Hood at
- Knutson Ventilation... K Provided expert review and evaluation of Berkeley Hood at LBNL.
- Marina Medical Mechanical... Installed the Berkeley Hood at UCSF Medical Center in San
- SafeLab Corporation... Provided expert review and evaluation of Berkeley Hood at LBNL.
- Technology Performance Group... Technical consultant to ATMI during development of
semiconductor wet bench system.
| EETD | LBNL
06 November, 2006